UPSC Civil Services MAINS Exam 2017
Essay Question Paper
Instructions: Write two essays, choosing one from each of the following Section A & B, in about 1000-1200 words.
Total Marks: 250
Section – A
- Farming has lost the ability to be a source of subsistence for majority of farmers in India.
- Impact of the new economic measures on fiscal ties between the union and states in India.
- Destiny of a nation is shaped in its classrooms.
- Has the Non- Alignment Movement(NAM) lost its relevance in a multipolar world.
Section – B
- Joy is the simplest form of gratitude.
- Fulfillment of ‘new woman’ in India is a myth.
- We may brave human laws but cannot resist natural laws.
- Social media is inherently a selfish medium.
Probable Essay Topics for UPSC Mains 2017 Essay Paper/Probable essay topic for UPSC 2017/Essay topics for IAS exam/Essay for UPSC exam
The Essay Paper is one of the nine papers in the UPSC civil services mains exam. It is called Paper I and is out of a total of 250 marks. Here, you will have to write essays on given topics. You have to write two essays in 1000-1200 words each. You can choose one topic out of 4 given choices. This article gives you a list of probable important essay topics for UPSC 2017 mains exam. Do remember this is not an exhaustive list of current affairs essay topics for UPSC exam.
Generally, relevant topics are those which have made headlines the past year. Current affairs topics which have brought about major changes in the country or affected lives in a significant manner, issues which shook the nation and so on provide fodder for the UPSC to frame essay questions.
Also See | UPSC Civil Services Mains Exam: List of Essay Topics of Past 15 Years (1993-2015)
Expected Essay Topics to prepare for IAS Mains 2017. (Only topics are mentioned. Questions could be framed by the UPSC on them):
Essay topics for IAS
- North-eastern India. Special attention needed.
- Nuclear power plants in India. Whether India should focus more on them, etc.
- Attack on Africans in India.
- Farmer suicides.
- PM Modi’s agricultural schemes.
- Prohibition on liquor and its effects.
- 100% FDI in ecommerce.
- Freedom of expression versus nationalism.
- Digitisation and Indian democracy.
- Pros and cons of 2017 Union Budget.
- Pollution in India. Environmental crisis.
- India’s responsiveness to natural disasters like flooding, etc.
- Make in India.
- Swachh Bharat Abhiyan
- Beef politics.
- India against terrorism.
- Energy security in India.
- Syrian crisis.
- Jallikattu protests in Tamil Nadu.
- Intolerance debate in campus.
- Social media versus conventional media.
- India’s educational system.
- Relevance of Gandhi today.
- Pros and cons of a cashless economy.
- Relevance of SAARC today.
- Relevance of BRICS.
- Water disputes between Indian states.
- Value education in India and corruption.
- Trial by media.
- Tiger conservation in India.
- Development and Green India.
- Poverty and crime.
- “I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.” (Albert Einstein)
- Inclusion of women in the armed forces. More combat roles for women.
- Superstition in India.
- Is socialism relevant?
- “Good fences make good neighbours.” (Robert Frost)
- Freedom of press in India.
- India’s role in the changing global order.
- Poverty and gender equality.
- Beti Bachao.
- “If you educate a man you educate an individual, but if you educate a woman you educate a family.” (Kwegyir-Aggrey)
- Juvenile crime in India.
- Crime against women in India.
- Should there be priority for India’s space missions amidst pressing issues like poverty, unemployment, etc.?
- Corruption in the armed forces.
- Scrapping of the Planning Commission.
- “No country for old men.”
- “The death of dogma is the birth of morality.” (Emmanuel Kant)
You can also go through BYJU’S Editorial Roundupsection where relevant editorials from newspapers are given date-wise. Also given are probable essay question based on these editorials. This will surely aid you in your essay paper preparation.
For tips on how to prepare for essay in UPSC exam, click here.
Also read how to prepare essay for UPSC | 10 Things to keep in mind while writing an Essay for UPSC Mains
Go through our tips on how to write essay in UPSC exam and attempt writing essays on the probable topics given in this article.
Visit BYJU’S Website forstrategy and articles on free IAS prep and all the latest on UPSC IAS exam.